She was born as Cho Ha-Seul (Hangul: 조하슬) on August 18, 1997, in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea.
She debuted on December 8, 2016 as a member and subsequently released her solo single album HaSeul on December 15, 2016.
Early life (1997–2016)Edit
HaSeul was born in Bucheon, South Korea, on August 18, 1997. She is the oldest of two siblings, with one younger brother born in 2002.
In elementary school, HaSeul participated in her school choir, which ignited her love of singing. As a student, HaSeul studied abroad in Sydney, Australia for a month. In high school, she moved to Colorado, USA, and studied for another year. Upon returning to Korea, HaSeul had to stay an extra year in high school due to her time overseas. HaSeul planned to continue with her studies and go to college to study opera.
This plan changed after she was cast by BlockBerryCreative after participating in a singing contest at the recommendation of her music teacher. She passed her audition and became a trainee at the same time as YeoJin and Choerry, in late 2015 or early 2016. She and Choerry lived near each other and would commute to BlockBerry headquarters together.
2016: Reveal, Debut in LOONAEdit
HaSeul trained under BlockBerryCreative for one year before being selected as the third member of LOONA. This came after months of worry for HaSeul, who believed she would never debut when surrounded by so many other talented trainees. HaSeul had no known previous training in dance, and made mistakes during her choreography performance on selection day. However, she was still chosen as the third member of LOONA, which HaSeul couldn’t believe was real, even when traveling to shoot her music video.
On December 8, 2016, the second “Who’s Next Girl?” teaser was released, and HaSeul was revealed as the third member of LOONA that same day. She released her solo single album HaSeul on December 15, 2016, and subsequently debuted as a member of LOONA.
2017: MIXNINE, LOONA 1/3, “Everyday I Love You”Edit
She was revealed to be a member of LOONA’s first sub-unit, LOONA 1/3, on February 14, 2017.
2018: Debut in LOONA Edit
On August 20, HaSeul officially debuted as the leader of the completed group LOONA. She and her members released their mini-album [+ +], along with title track “Hi High”. Although HaSeul had been a lead vocalist of LOONA 1/3, she did not receive many lines or singing time on [+ +].
2019: First comeback, family tragedy, first hiatus Edit
On February 19, 2019, LOONA released [X X], a repackage album of [+ +] featuring new title track “Butterfly”. On February 25, BlockBerryCreative reported that HaSeul’s grandmother had passed away, and that HaSeul would take personal time to grieve. After promotions for [X X] came to an end, BlockBerryCreative officially announced a longer hiatus for HaSeul, which lasted from May 10 to July 9.
2020: Second hiatus Edit
On January 7, 2020, BlockBerryCreative announced that HaSeul would be sitting out promotions of the upcoming album [#] due to mental health concerns. She was said to be diagnosed with “intermittent anxiety symptoms” and would be taking time to focus on her health. Although HaSeul did not contribute to title track “So What” from [#], her voice can still be heard on three of the songs on the album, including lead single “365”.
After LOONA’s first ever music show win on March 12, 2020, HaSeul posted on social media for the first time that year, expressing her thanks to fans.
- Stage Name: HaSeul (하슬)
- Japanese: ハスル (Hasuru)
- Chinese: 夏瑟
- Birth Name: Cho Ha-Seul (조하슬)
- Name Meaning(s): 하슬 is derived from the words 하늘 (haneul), “sky” and 슬기 (seulgi), “wisdom”, making an acronym for “하늘에서 내려온 슬기로운 아이 (Haneureseo naeryeoon seulgiroun ai, The wise child who came from the sky)”.
- Nickname(s): Cho Leader (조리더), Harvard (하버드), HaSeul PD, Cho PD
- Birth date: August 18, 1997 (age 22)
- Astrological sun sign: Leo
- Chinese zodiac sign: Ox
- Blood type: O
- Birth place: Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
- Current residence: LOOΠΔ Dormitory, Seoul, South Korea
- Family: Parents; younger brother
- Body statistics: 156~159 cm (height), 43 kg (weight), 225mm (US 5.5, EU 36) (shoe size), 9-10 (ring size)
- Education: Bucheon Sangil Elementary School, Bucheon Sangil Middle School, Bucheon Sangwon High School (graduated)
- Languages: Korean (fluent), English (conversational)
- Position: Leader
- LOONA 1/3: Leader, lead vocal, rapper
- LOONA: Leader, lead vocal
- Instruments: Guitar, piano
- Hobbies: Watching movies
- Likes: Family (+ dog), other members, Orbits
- Dislikes: Pigeons, aegyo
- Personality: Friendly, talkative, caring, motherly
- HaSeul (2016)
|2017||Do You Remember the First Time We Met?||YouTube||Cho HaSeul (Main)|
|Do You Remember the First Time We Met?|
|2018||Do You Remember the First Time We Met?||Cho HaSeul (Minor)|
Music Video AppearancesEdit
|2017||“Everyday I Love You (feat. HaSeul)”||ViVi||Rapper|
|“Love Cherry Motion”||Choerry||Minor|
- HaSeul auditioned for BlockBerryCreative with the song "Friday", by IU.
- She is the fourth oldest in LOONA.
- Despite being the fourth oldest, she's one of the shortest members of the group, standing at around 5'2.
- She is the second oldest in LOONA 1/3.
- Her zodiac sign is Leo.
- She is represented by a white bird and the color green.
- She is the third member to be revealed in December 2016.
- She is a fan of baseball.
- While she was abroad for one year, she used the English name, Jane.
- She is bilingual, knowing English and Korean.
- She can sing opera
- As a student, HaSeul was often late to class.
- She lived in the US (Colorado) for a year.
- She recited the poem ‘Now, We’ by Park Joon for weekly poem 3.
- The company wanted her stage name to be "HaJin" but she did not like it. They also pranked her putting "Hajin" on the lyrics sheets of The Carol, during the recording of the song.
- Like HeeJin she is afraid of pigeons.
- Predebut she dyed her hair blonde but she found it hard to maintain.
- According to herself: 
- Hashtag: #Iceland #VocalGangster
- Team Position: "Hmm... Mommy?"
- Charming Point: "My heart that loves and cares about Orbits"
- Long-term Goals: Having a concert 10 years from now, founding a small theater named "Jo Haseul"
Song recommendations and songs she likes: Edit
Prefered style of music: old songs and ballads.
- Baek Yerin - Bye bye my blue 
- DEAN - instagram 
- G.O.D - Road (길) 
- IU - 이름에게 (Dear Name) 
- IU - Friday 
- IU (Feat. G-DRAGON) - Palette 
- Kim Kwang-Seok - With a Determined Heart to Forget You 
- Kim Kwang Seok - The Story of a Couple in Their 60's 
- Mandy Moore & Zachary Levi - I See the Light (Tangled OST) 
- Lee Oh Gong Gam - 한사람의 위한 마음 (Heart for one person) 
- LOONA 1/3 - Fairy Tale 
- LOONA ODD EYE CIRCLE - Starlight 
- LOONA yyxy - rendezvous 18.6y 
- Taeyeon - I
- Yves - D-1
Her explanations Edit
- Song recommendations:
- For Chinese New Year (2019):
- HyunJin & HaSeul - Naver NOW radio broadcast “Because I wanted you to listen to this”
- Taeyeon - I
- HaSeul: "Since I liked Taeyeon a lot, I teared up as soon as the song started. I didn't remove it from my playlist for the month. I listened to it and sung it a lot."
- IU - 이름에게 (Dear Name)
- HaSeul: "But the lyrics are deep, that's why I picked it. It's also a song that I've covered a little bit. Also it's from my role model IU. [...] I hope that you pay more attention to the lyrics while listening to this song."
- When Haseul listens to the song, her heart really ties up. She often practices this song in the practice room.
- Baek Yerin - Bye bye my blue
- HaSeul: "The reason I picked it is ... We had evaluations as trainees, right? I sang this once for evaluations. The song had a big impact as well. When I sang it during the evaluation rehearsal, I just sang it. But Hyunjin suddenly grabbed me and said, "unnie, this is YOUR song." So, I was like "Ah ... Really? Thank you!""
- HyunJin "No joke. It fit her so well! Her voice and the song fit together just right!"
- HaSeul: "I was thankful for Hyunjin. Before evaluations I was so nervous, but Hyunjin was like "Unnie, this is YOUR song."
- HyunJin: "I thought it was actually your own song."
- HaSeul: "At the time I hadn't even debuted. So things were like that, but I remember being very thankful for Hyunjin."
- Taeyeon - I
- ↑ Master - LOONA 20180928: "No specific species. Just a white bird."
- ↑ /haˈ.sʰɯɭ/, HAH-suul
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 loonatheworld “LOONA TV #170” YouTube. 2017.08.10
- ↑ @tracetheworld.180901 fansign account. Twitter. 2018.09.01
- ↑ LOOΠΔ GIRLS (@loonagirls) “180908 Mokdong fansign fanaccounts” 2018.09.08
- ↑ loona-trans “My music teacher paved my path to becoming a singer.” (Orig) Tumblr. 2017.03.12
- ↑ loonatheworld “LOONA TV #40” YouTube. 2016.12.16
- ↑ MIXNINE Episode #1. 2017.10.29
- ↑ cΔsker (@caskerbox) “Haseul’s grandmother passed away last night.” Twitter. 2018.02.25
- ↑ Orrery/nim (@orrery_nim) “Haseul will not be attending LOONA events in the immediate future for personal reasons.” Twitter. 2019.05.10
- ↑ loonatheworld. “Orbits! It's #HaSeul here!” Instagram. 2019.07.09
- ↑ Orrery/nim (@orrery_nim) “From the fancafe” Twitter. 2020.01.07
- ↑ Wiktionary. “하늘”. Retrieved 2020.03.14
- ↑ Wiktionary. “슬기”. Retrieved 2020.03.14
- ↑ @adoreloona LOONAbirth profile translation (Archived from deleted original). Retrieved 2020.03.14
- ↑ [Teaser] 이달의 소녀 1/3 (LOONA 1/3) "???"
- ↑ Fan account: 190314 fansign (@ivytwts)
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 LOONA's Profile rewrite
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 LOONA Studio - 1/3 Hertz (ENGSUB)
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 20.4 20.5 20.6 20.7 20.8 HyunJin & HaSeul - Naver NOW radio broadcast “Because I wanted you to listen to this” (ENGSUB)
- ↑ Mu:fully questionnaire (Halloween 2019)
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 TV Daily: Song recs - Chinese New Year
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 LOONA STUDIO English Subtitle Transcripts (@gointosubbit)
|HeeJin • HyunJin • HaSeul • ViVi|
|Characters||LOONA 1/3 : HeeJin • HyunJin • HaSeul • ViVi|
|Analysis||Love & Live • Sonatine • Love & Live 2.0|